Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Kidding, Right?

Waking up at 2 am is no biggie these days, since our little new addition has decided she likes to wake every 1-2 hours through the night. It is a big deal for our toddler--who woke up in a pool of her own vomit this particular morning at 2am. The vomiting continued through the early morning hours. My husband and i had a few bad flashbacks to last year when our toddler brought a particularly nasty gastroenteritis bug that caused us all to fall (complete with a trip to the ER for me). From what i've heard from my friends with kids, this particular bug is short-lasting and is rarely accompanied with diarrhea. She was done vomiting by 9am, but was feeling tired and energy-less for the rest of the day.

Of course, all my years of education and nurse practitioner knowledge promptly went out the window as soon as she started vomiting. I had no clue how to protect my newborn or if the toddler should eat or not eat or drink or rest or what. All i knew is that i didn't want the toddler to touch me or the baby, which lead to some mommy-guilt. She would come to me wanting a snuggle, and i'd give her the awkward hug you give your great uncle--you know, at arms reach, with lots of patting and no actual body contact.

I'm hoping she's done vomiting and that no one else in the clan will fall. Here's to hoping!

5 comments:

PTW said...

Was this the first freakout? If so, it took quite a while!

This picture of New Baby (henceforth NB) is lovely.

Mama Nabi said...

Aw... poor Toddler. If she's getting what's been going around, it's a 2-day thing. So she may throw up some more tonight but by tomorrow afternoon, she should be good to go. I hope you and the New Cutiepie don't get it - I got it when LN had it a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't pretty...
*hugs* and LOTS of fluids!!!

Deby said...

I hope the rest of you stay safe. *knock on wood* We've never really had a GI bug hit us since we've had kids. (Just a random vomiting episode here and there...) I feel like I've paid my dues with the lice. Maybe the vomit gods can just stay away.

Anonymous said...

A,A,A and C will see you on Friday or Saturday.
Dad, Grnadpa, Father in Law

Puka said...

I hope your little girl is feeling better and that you and baby didn't get the bug as well