Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I'm Still Standing

I am finally crawling out of rough 2 weeks. I caught a nasty bug of some sort (croup? bronchitis?) and have been s-l-o-w-l-y recovering. I'm not all the way there yet, but getting there. I have been fairly firm about not giving out antibiotics before 10-14 days of being sick and as i approach 14 days of being sick myself, i have new appreciation of what that feels like. It has only proven the fact that most get better (or *start* getting better) in 2 weeks with or without antibiotics.

In the middle of this illness, my toddler decided to go nuts. She started waking in the night with what i now believe to be night terrors. She also decided to have huge toddler meltdowns at the most inopportune times. Granted, my fuse has been short considering my illness and the last few weeks of pregnancy. I reached a new parenting low point last week and just as quickly as the toddler storm flew in, my daughter turned on a dime into the most lovely, charming, interesting little girl i have met. The best advice that i received was from my husband asking me to not take it personally. I realize this is my problem. I find it difficult to not get emotionally involved with toddler craziness and i'm sure the prego hormones don't help.

And now we await the baby's arrival any day now. Because i have been in bed when not at work for the past 2 weeks, i am finding a list a mile long of things i wanted to get done before s/he comes. I realize that all i really need before the baby comes is boobs and those come attached and that time and life will go on if i have the baby without doing the list of things, but i'm feeling the need. Perhaps it's my way of 'nesting' or whatever the craziness that proceeds the baby is called.

6 comments:

Scooter said...

Eryn had a few periods where she yelled in the middle of the night like she was scared senseless. Didn't even always wake up. I think it's just toddler brains adjusting to super scary things in their lives, like Dad stealing their Halloween candy or a fear of getting lost.

Glad you're at least a little better. See you tomorrow!

Puka said...

Still no baby?! I'm getting anxious to know whether it's a boy or girl! ^^

A-chan has dreams almost every night. She starts crying and is inconsolable for a long time. Many times she screams, like the screeching kind of scream. We just have to wait it out. As she gets older, she has begun talking in her sleep, and we can get a sense of what she's dreaming about, ie, she'll woke up crying three nights ago, "Don't leave me!" and some other things that I can't recall now.

I hope A-chan outgrows this in the near future. She has never been a good sleeper since the day she was born, and now that she is three years old, I still couldn't sleep through the night even if I didn't have an infant.

Mama Nabi said...

baby yet?

I used to have bad dreams - there's one I still remember - when I was little, around 3 or 4 years... yeah, I think it is how they adjust to things that seem scary to them.

Hope all goes well!

She says said...

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!! Best wishes for a lifetime of good health and happiness -- and some rest soon too.

Puka said...

LJ had her baby?!!!

boringsahm said...

Congratulation! Heard the good news from the Scooter grape vine!