Friday, August 17, 2007

Cellular Phone

I have finally joined the 21st century and bought a cell phone. I figured with the commute i will have starting next week, it's a smart idea (although, riding to work on my bicycle might have been a smarter time in my life to have a cell phone).

It took me no less than TWO hours to investigate how phones work, the difference between plans, which phones go with which plans, where to get the cheapest plan, etc, etc. By the time i found a plan i liked and the phone i liked, it was difficult to find the cheapest price. I decided i'd call directly to the cell phone plan people in attempt to play "stupid old woman wants cell phone" in an attempt to get a one year contract versus the two year contracts offered online.

The 16 year old boy i got on the phone was in training (i could hear his trainer blow his training whistle every now and then), and our conversation started off badly. He tried to upsell my plan and phone, and i declined. He started getting my personal information and didn't know the abbreviation for minnesota and had to ask me how to spell 'minneapolis.' He said, "I should know how to spell that." I responded, "Yes. You should." By this point, i was irritated and crabby. I gave him my credit card number and i swear to gawd after every number i told him, he said a different number.

Our conversation was coming to an end, and he re-iterated my name and credit card number wrong. I said with irritation in my voice, "No. That information is wrong." He said, "Oh. Sorry, mom. OOPS! I mean, ma'am. I really didn't mean to call you mom. You're not my mom. Sorry. ....... Could you repeat your information?" I couldn't help but laugh.

I received my new phone in the mail addressed to the right person and we will await to see if my bill is correct.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

No! I had a cell phone I haven't cancelled because of the fee, and I think it's still good for a year, and I'm not using it at all - you could have had free cell phone for a year - saved $300+ and bought my niece a better education.

(and interphone minutes with Pooteewheet would have been free).